Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Family and a Recipe

A few weeks ago we were able to spend some time with my family. My beloved Grandma passed away the day after Valentine's day. While that was a sad time for all of us, we were so fortunate to be able to spend some time with her, all together, before she went home. I am grateful for some many things she did for me and our family. We were so lucky to have her as long as we did. And loved the chance to have my family at our home after the funeral.

I went out on a limb and made a new recipe that I hadn't tried for family gathering after the funeral. We also celebrated my nephew Robert's birthday and my little brother's birthday. I don't want to toot my own horn or anything, but it turned out so well! I searched for various "Cafe Rio" recipes. I found one on a blog and tweaked it a little. Everyone keeps asking for it, so here it is:

PULLED PORK:
6 pounds pork shoulder (for just your family, use 1lb tenderloin)
2-15oz cans tomato sauce
1 can of Coke
2 garlic cloves diced
2 cups brown sugar (reduce by a 1/2 cup if using tenderloin)
Place all ingredients in Crock Pot on high for 4 hours and then low for 4 more hours

Creamy Cilantro Dressing:
1 pkt. Hidden Valley Ranch Mix
8oz. Salsa Verde Grenn Salso
1/2 bunch of cilantro with the stems
2 cloves garlic
3/4 c. sour cream
1/8 tsp. hot sauce
Mix in blender

I didn't have time to try the rice, but here is the recipe:
8 c. water
8 cubes/tsp. chicken bouillon
2 tsp. cumin
4 cloves garlic
12 tbsp. butter
12 sprigs cilantro
4 c. rice


Pictures from the weekend:

Zach actually sat still for a good 20 minutes and cuddled with his Aunt Kelley who wasn't feeling very well, which is why the binky is in the mouth still. I call it my "germ blocker.'


Kelley, Scotty, Kristina (my brother Ryan's wife), and Robert.


My brother Michael and his beautiful wife Amber.




Zach was loving all the people in the house.




Joshua his cousin wasn't quite as happy. I love this picture! He is so cute.




The birthday boys.








Zachary loves his grandma Liz.



Dad loves to make us all get together for pictures.





Zach livin' it up with Uncle Dave.


What is my dad laughing at?











4 comments:

Kim said...

I tried this recipe a few weeks ago when my friend sent it to me and we loved it too. The rice was delish, try it next time. One other thing I loved was getting buying uncooked tortillas and cooking them myself right before we ate then serving the salad on top of them. It was nice to see you over the funeral...

The Addams Family said...

I can't wait to try these recipes! Thank you for posting them. Cute pictures, too! By the way, I bought a pair of Dansko Ravens at Marshalls today for $9.99--Crazy!

LACI MICHELLE said...

I'll have to try this recipe. We have the same blog background :)

Saratoga Six said...

Amy, sorry to hear about your grandma. Thanks for the great recipes though. Glad to see you're doing well.